Saturday, April 17, 2010

April 17, Turkey

Yesterday I spent the day taking a boat tour of the Bosphorus - 1.5 hours along the European shore, ending at a small village on the Asian shore very near the Black Sea (clearly visible just a couple of kilometers away), with 3 hours to explore the ruins of an ancient castle on the hill above and have a (slightly overpriced) sea-food lunch before returning. The skies started out rather thick with mist and smog, but it cleared up by noon and turned into a beautiful spring afternoon. Aybuke had warned me to take warm clothes, so I had my fleece jacket as well as my other jacket - I needed both of them for the last half hour of the outbound trip and the first half hour in-bound, when the chill wind from off the Black Sea was on us. The light was not very good for photos, but I took a few of mosques and a couple of neighborhoods along the shoreline, and several of a castle on the European shore, which Aybuke will take me to this afternoon, as well as several of the ruined castle near the Black Sea.

Yesterday I was quite concerned that the Iceland volcano might interfere with LaJean's plans to join me in Ireland, but yesterday Dublin reopened their airports to flights from the U.S. and it looks like I will be seeing her tomorrow after all. I have my fingers crossed! Today I am spending the morning packing and putting everything in order while Aybuke takes the first part of her drivers' license test, then we will go out for a sight-seeing walk, probably I will take a few more photos, then it will be to bed somewhat early, in preparation for tomorrow's flight to Dublin.

No comments:

Post a Comment